What is the purpose of this post?
After two long days, one technically a day of rest and today having been quite the opposite, I want to display my Grit by cranking out a post starting at about 10:00 PM on a day when I have been on the go since 6:00 AM. I know…cry me a river. There are doctors and truck drivers still doctoring and driving right now that started before 6:00 AM today, although it would be better for their patients and other drivers if they would call it a night.
One purpose of this post is to provide a checklist of how incredibly middle aged middle class suburban white guy my last three days have been.
Here on what I would consider late on a Monday night I will do my best to recollect what the last three days have been for Yours Truly, once again solidifying my role as a Middle Class Guy.
- Watched about four hours of Hurricane Irma coverage on the Weather Channel with my wife.
- Got inspired and cranked out a 2,905 word post in about two hours called Goodbye Florida Condo and then put my +/- 150 Florida condo listings in our recycle bin.
- Served as sous chef for my son’s chicken cacciatori on Saturday night, then ate a lot of it. Took the leftovers for lunch today (Monday).
- Took my dog for long walks on both Saturday and Sunday around a local lake, about a mile around.
- Woke up around 6:00 AM on Saturday, when my wife had to drive our daughter to school for a marching band field trip to play halftime at a college football game.
- Waited at the same school around 6:30 PM on Saturday to pick up our daughter.
- Happily went to buy iced pumpkin coffees for me and my wife from Dunkin’ Donuts on Sunday morning for us to watch hurricane coverage with.
- Made great omelettes like I do every Sunday morning.
- Mowed my f-ing gigantic one-third acre lot on Sunday with a push mower, wishing for a smaller property or to make enough to hire a landscaping and mowing crew.
- Took my daughter and her BFF for a horse riding lesson at a horse farm about fifteen miles away, $40 for a half hour lesson.
- Took my daughter and her BFF to Steak n’ Shake for lunch afterwards.
- Took my daughter and her BFF to a local festival that we go to every year on the second Sunday of September.
- Got home in time to catch the final twenty-six seconds of play in the Bears game including a dropped pass that would have won the game if the sucky receiver did not drop it.
- Returned my son to his college Sunday evening around 9 PM.
- Listened to the Cure, Ministry and the Smiths for over an hour when I got home.
- Finished reading Grit by Angela Duckworth late Sunday night around midnight.
- Also paid the $2,500 monthly nut to our son’s college last night.
- Initiated a $1,100 transfer from his T. Rowe Price College 2018 account to cover 44% of this month’s payment.
- Only slept three freakin’ hours last night. Did not fall asleep until around 3 AM after taking a Tylenol.
- Got my ass out of bed around 6:30 this morning to start another long, stressful work week like many millions of other people.
- Bought myself another iced pumpkin coffee from Dunkin’ Donuts on the way to work today after drinking two hot coffees at home this morning.
- Worked all day today with meetings, phone calls and emails about anything and everything; it is far too much BS to detail everything that went on and that I did today, but I did walk a mile and a half loop during lunch hour, then read a magazine for a few minutes before returning to my office.
- Made a $1,000 cash deposit into our checking account on the way home to cover another 40% of this month’s college payment. The cash came from my former $4,250 stash. The teller asked where I work, but I told her that I would prefer not to discuss it. Perhaps she thought I was a drug dealer, since it was comprised of twenty new fifty dollar bills.
- Staffed a committee meeting tonight from 7 PM until 8:30 PM, answering a slew of difficult questions on development issues throughout the community where I am employed.
- Walked my dog when I got home at 9:30 because nobody else really ever walks her.
- Popped a Tylenol PM a few minutes before starting this post.
- Also ate three incredibly delicious pumpkin cookies in the last fifteen minutes that my daughter made tonight while I was at the committee meeting.
- Decided to crank out a post tonight even though I really do not feel like it to improve upon my grit and because writing is done in the time we make, not the time we find, and I definitely would rather watch TV for a few minutes, read for a bit and then try to get some sleep.
- By the way, I have a busy and stressful work day already lined up for tomorrow. But you gotta do what you gotta do to pay the bills. Know what I mean?
My wife has now requested that I relocate since she is going to sleep, which makes me wish for an extra room, an office or den where I could claim some space to work on my writing instead of moving from room to room.
I suppose that the miracle of modern technology that allows me to easily relocate myself and my laptop from room to room is something that I should be grateful for rather than lamenting my lack of a steady space to write at.
Oh well. If I waited for the perfect space and the perfect time to present itself, I would most likely never write anything. Thus, the purpose of this post is to display some meager amount of Grit to myself. I figure that if I can make myself write a bit after a long, difficult twelve hour work day, then I must have some amount, at least for today.
There you have it. I have put over 1,100 words into the blogosphere tonight and thus can go to sleep soon with some small measure of satisfaction that I did something for myself and my readers, and did not just toil in vain for my employer all day.
Regarding my reference to 1,100 words, I am going to strive next year to not worry or think about word count goals like I have done this past year, and will instead focus on doing shorter, more worthwhile and interesting posts on a variety of topics.
Incidentally, I started this blog exactly one year ago today, on Patriot Day of 2016, and this will be my 182nd post. If you like math like I do, that is nearly exactly an average of one post every other day.
Thanks for reading.
One more thing: if you figure out the purpose of this post, would you mind telling me what it is?